Wednesday, April 27, 2011



From Wikipedia:
French is the mother tongue of about 7 million Canadians (22.3% of the Canadian population). Most native French speakers in Canada live in Québec, where it is the majority and sole Official Language. About 80% of Québec's population are native francophones, and 95% of the population speak French as their first or second language.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *  *

And yes,  I am not in the 95%. 
I am realizing, after 8 years here, 
that it's time, as with a ripe cabernet, to crack the seal, 
and learn to speak and listen in French.
It's a detriment, at times, to not be able to communicate intelligently.
It's either hard to believe, or I am extremely dense, but
many people here in the city, although I reside in the 
Official Tourist Zone,
do not speak any English whatsoever.
It's always been one of the charms of the place for me,
but enough is enough;
 I am going to learn French!